Hello all! Thanks for the messages following our last blog - great to hear from you all!
So - we made it to Osh - although we planned to do it in 2 days, we couldn't find anywhere to stay in Ozgon as planned, so continued on to Osh - our longest day yet. Possibly not a great idea as we both spent yesterday in feeble heaps trying to get our energy back. I've really suffered from the ill effects of the anti-malarial I'm on - causes photosensitivity - so no matter how much suncream I put on, I still burn badly. It mostly effects my hand and fingers (knuckles!!?) and nose. It was excruciating so I've finally given in and come off the drugs. We've researched it and I'm clearly fine without them until we get below 200m in Pakistan - so am already feeling much better.
Today, having rested yesterday, we headed out early to the Bazar in Osh - we got there as just a few stalls were setting up, which was brilliant - had the chance to speak to traders (well - gesticulate!) and sit in a tea house watching the market come alive. We're on the old silk route - and you can imagine that in many ways, not much has changed! Literally thousands of stalls - selling everything imaginable - lots of clothes and dodgy local muslim dresses. Paint powder and spice sellers. Vegetables. Meat (mutton!). Tobacco. Big rocks that turned out to be salt! Garlic sellers. Sunflower seed sellers. Broom sellers. The tea house gave us fresh bread hot from the oven, and the first cooked samosas of the day which were delicious - they're just like Cornish pasties and they somehow wet them first, then stick them to the inside walls of the oven where they bake - then they prise them off when cooked - quite fascinating! We've got pictures and will load them as soon as the internet speeds up!
Due to popular request, we will also prioritise photos of our new saddles - which worked a TREAT by the way! Clever Andrew!
We are buying up some provisions for the next week or so to get us to Kashgar in China. We've heard the Chinese like to take about 10 days holiday some time early in OCtober, so we have to get there before then (which is no problem - we leave tomorrow and we should get to the border by Friday latest). The road is VERY hilly with 3 passes around 3-4000. Plus, the road for most of the way is apparently not much of a road at all - just corrugated dirt and gravel, so it will be slow going. Still - it will be good to head into the hills again and away from the hustle and bustle of the city.
Have seen tonnes of eagles during the journey - or at least, we know that some of them are eagles, but there have been at least 2 other enormous birds of prey that we cannot identify - there don't seem to be any books to id birds anywhere. Mum - got any ideas? One was huge and pale with a yellow head - the other, pale again with a grey head and black wing tips and white tail. Frustrating not to be able to identify them.
The good news is that most of the yurts are coming down now from the mountains as although it's pretty hot down here on the plain, the mountains are building up to winter - this hopefully means easy camping (better when no one else around) and fewer doggies (phew says Tracy - 'don't worry' says Andrew - 'they haven't got any teeth in this part of Kyrgyzstan so they can only gum you visciously' - 'oh that's ok then' says Tracy with a sigh of relief!
Have met lots of other travellers in Osh - most doing journeys bigger than ours - which is very humbling. The French lad cycling to Russia (Siberia) for winter is possibly the nuttiest! We've also been lucky enough to meet 2 great Aussie girls on a 'Stan' adventure, also with bikes (though not always on them) who we regularly bump into over the last week or so - good company.
Although we're in Kyrgyzstan, Osh is largely made up of Uzbeks. But this is a realy melting pot of nationalities - some look pretty Russian, others very Chinese, plenty of Kyrgyz and lots else in between. Central Asian history is reflected in the faces all around us. But on the whole, even the faces that first look at us curiously, burst into smiles as soon as we smile and wave at them. The most endearing gesture they have is to shake you hand everso gently with the other hand across their heart. It's catching - we use it regularly to show respect and heartfelt gratitude.
There is a strong muslim contingency so we are very careful about behaviour and clothing - but in the towns you still see girls in short skirts among those who are fully covered up. There is no doubt that a shawar kameez is needed in Pakistan with the head scarf, so I'll buy or get one or 2 made in Kashgar when we rest up there for a few days before the next stint over the Karakorum Highway (KKH).
So - that's all from us for now. We'll do what we can to get photos loaded, but might not manage it before China.............the power just went off and we thought we'd lost the whole blog - but clever clever blogger automatically save - HURRAH!!
Lots of love to all.
Tracy and the big man
xxx
14 comments:
Your blogs are great - keep them coming! I was super late for work on Thursday as I didn't want to leave the flat till I had read it all! Delighted to hear that you are both well and that you are having such a great time. The photos you have posted are superb and I am would give my right arm to be there with you to take in all those views.
Life is great fun at home but you two are sorely missed!!! Fi G, Cuzza, Cici and the Fat One and I went sea-kayaking in Arisaig a couple of weekends ago and had incredible weather a hell of a lot of fun. We toasted your good health from a beautiful beach where we had pitched our tents.
Cheers, Tim
Testing Testing!! The Milner does not know how this posting comments thing works. Will write more if this appears!
Ah ha - wonders of modern technology and all that.....
Here we go...
Well sitting here on the sofa with Fi L and Sarah W. We are all hung over as dogs after Sarah's party! Great bash but naturally not the same without the Norri!!!
Loads of gossip. Fi L hooked up with a random punter who came in off the street with dreadlocks. I hitched up with a visiting Nomad who lives in Mongolia but was visiting Edinburgh on his gap year........ (mmmm.... me thinks not......on both fronts although apparently Pete was dancing with a broom and Fi L was doing headstands in the early hours). Anyway, lots of fun and some silly costumes from the girls (the theme was 'Freedom'). The boys were boring and none came dressed up.
Milner is job hunting - had a few interesting 'chats' so far. No doubt a dream part-time job is just around the corner. Fi L is doing excellently on the sponsorship front so I'm sure she will write soon with news. Sarah's flat is still in one piece and the only spillage was over her....
I was so excited to read your blog today. You write brilliantly Racy. Your pics are wonderful and you are making us very jelous. Will write again very soon xxx
Hi You Two - keep peddling can't believe how far you have gone so far. Off to cornwall for a week so will be in touch when back x x
Edin-->Berwick upon Tweed 2hrs49Min
Oh - what an adventure! I can't believe that I am sitting here in sane and normal Orkney whilst you guys are being such amazing explorers. Chasing dogs - fills me with horror too! Even in safe UK a barking dog turns my blood cold. Massive stone in your pocket at all times I say! Sod the lack of aerodynamicy(sp?).Last ship yesterday - drunk norwegians - very jolly. Virgin blogger so hope this works. Look after the bottoms! Love H.
It's been a while since Lechlade but I finally track you down - and now your cycling across asia! Fantastic! Andy, there must be some good gadgets involved here!!!!
Hi Guys - yes - I am in Edinburgh and ready and waiting for anything that I can do for you. I couldnt understand your message as it was so crackly but I can send or do anything you need done. I've tried calling you back but no answer, so please try again and I am here ready and waiting at your service. xxxxx
Hi guys - yes - I am here in Edinburgh and ready and waiting to do anything that needs to be done for you. I couldnt understand your message very well as it was so crackly... tried calling back but no answer. So call again - your needs are my commands oh mistress and master. Phone is on the whole time - if I am on it, just leave a message then call back 15mins later when I will have listened to it or got out of the meeting. Cant wait to chat...xx
oh dear, I cant seem to get in and leave you a message as I have forgotten all my passwords to do it! Hopefully this will work... but basically - yes, I am here in Edinburgh, ready and waiting to be at your service... just let me know what ever you need (unfortunatly your voice mail was really crackly and I cant make it out) and I am at your command. Ready and waiting - if you want to chat, just text and let me know what time you want to call and I will make sure that the phone is free, if someone calls at that time, I will not pick up, but it might sound enganged, so just try again... Cant wait to be of service... speak very soon, love me xxxx
oh dear, I cant seem to get in and leave you a message as I have forgotten all my passwords to do it! Hopefully this will work... but basically - yes, I am here in Edinburgh, ready and waiting to be at your service... just let me know what ever you need (unfortunatly your voice mail was really crackly and I cant make it out) and I am at your command. Ready and waiting - if you want to chat, just text and let me know what time you want to call and I will make sure that the phone is free, if someone calls at that time, I will not pick up, but it might sound enganged, so just try again... Cant wait to be of service... speak very soon, love me xxxx
oh dear, I cant seem to get in and leave you a message as I have forgotten all my passwords to do it! Hopefully this will work... but basically - yes, I am here in Edinburgh, ready and waiting to be at your service... just let me know what ever you need (unfortunatly your voice mail was really crackly and I cant make it out) and I am at your command. Ready and waiting - if you want to chat, just text and let me know what time you want to call and I will make sure that the phone is free, if someone calls at that time, I will not pick up, but it might sound enganged, so just try again... Cant wait to be of service... speak very soon, love me xxxx
eek sorry - seems like they are at the bottom of the page after all... how embarrassing xxx
Mum and Philip are just back from France and are blown away by your blogs and photos. Your experiences give Mum the heebeejeebies!! But ... what fantastic tales you are sharing with us all and you are not even one fifth of the way through your trip. We can't wait to see the videos! Be safe. Love you lots! MumLinda
Post a Comment